THE FRUŠKA GORA MONASTERIES

The Fruška Gora Monasteries, situated in Srem, on the Fruška Gora slopes, take an important place in the cultural/historical heritage of Serbia by its stormy history, architecture and painting beauty, but first of all by the important role of the spiritual center of Serbian people. They were built in the late Medieval age, during the retreat in front of the Turks. Most of the Monastery Churches were built under influence of the Morava and Raška construction schools.During centuries, the Churches were destroyed and renewed. Thus, inside them, great Baroque iconostasses were made, painted by the best Serbian painters of that time.
There are 16 Monasteries on Fruška Gora: Krušedol, Staro Hopovo, Novo Hopovo, Grgeteg, Velika Remeta, Mala Remeta, Sremska Ravanica, Jazak, Šišatovac, Petkovica, Bešenevo, Divša, Kuvedžin, Rakovac, Beočin
and Privina Glava. We shall point out some of them:

Informacije i rezervacije

National tourism organization of Serbia
+ 381 11 655 71 00
Fax: + 381 11 32 21 068

office@serbia.travel
www.serbia-tourism.org

Signspots
 
 
KRUŠEDOL Monastery 

Krušedol Monastery (built on 1509 - 1516), with the Church devoted to the Annunciation, is the Memorial of Bishop Maxim Branković, a son of Despot Stefan. It was built as a mausoleum of the Branković family and has got an extremely rich treasury. Many famous people from Serbian history were buried in Krušedol: The Dutches Ljubica Obrenović, King Milan Obrenović and the Patriarch Arsenije III Čarnojević.
ŠIŠATOVAC Monastery 

Šišatovac Monastery, with the Church devoted to the Mother of God Birth, was founded in 1520 by the Žiča Prior Teofil, at the place of the Small Church of St. Nicholas. The Šišatovac Church is different from other Fruška Gora’s Monasteries by excessively divided stone and brick facades, showing the builder’s feeling for a plastic shape rhime.

GRGETEG Monastery

Grgeteg Monastery, with the Church devoted to St. Nicholas, according to a legend, was built by order of Despot Vuk Branković (The Fire Dragon Vuk) for his blind father, the Chilandar monk Grgur, by whom the Monastery got its name. The Church got the Baroque look between 1766 and 1771.

MALA REMETA  Monastery

Mala Remeta Monastery, with the Church devoted to Mother of God Shroud, is situated near Vrdnik, southeast from the Jazak Monastery.It was founded in the late Medieval age, when the monks of the Rača Monastery near the Drina escaped there. The Monastery got its present look in the renewal started in 1739.

PETKOVICA Monastery
Petkovica Monastery, near the ruines of Šišatovac, of which it was an appendage, is pointed out among the Fruška Gora Monasteries by a great saving of the original look. In the written sources, it was mentioned in the 16th century. Its value are relatively well saved frescoes.
SREMSKA RAVANICA Monastery
Sremska Ravanica Monastery, with the Curch devoted to the Assumption, was built in the 16th century. After the Great Serbian Move, in 1690, it was inhabited by the monks of Ravanica Monastery. The arrival of these monks from St. Andrew with the treasury and remnants of the Duke Lazar contributed to a new revival of the Duke Lazar cult.
HOVO HOPOVO Monastery
Novo Hopovo Monastery - In 1555, the remnants of the saint warrior Theodor Tyron were brought to the old church. This ensured its special place among the Fruška Gora Monasteries. The parvis is unique for standing figures and rarely shown cycles of the apostle suffering.
FENEK Monastery
Fenek Monastery, with the Church devoted to the St. Paraskeva, was built, according to the legend, by Despot Stefan Branković with his wife Angelina. It played an important historical role end of the 18th and beginning of 19th century, when it was the center of political immigration.
JAZAK Monastery
Jazak Monastery, with the Saint Trinity Church, was built in 1736, near Vrdnik. Not far away from the present one, there are remnants of the Old Jazak, built in the 16th century. Three luxurious Baroque thrones decorated by icons are kept there: The Throne of Tzar Uroš (1776), of Mother of God (1779) and the Archbishop Throne (1784).
VELIKA REMETA Monastery
Velika Remeta Monastery, with the Church devoted to the Saint Dimitrije, was founded end of the 15th and early 16th century. According to a legend, it was founded by the King Dragutin. In the Monastery, the center of Serbs in the 16th and 17th centuriy, there
was a rewriting school. Among the paintings from 1568, several Saint paintings were saved in the altar, on the dome and the southern external wall.