DOWN THE BEAUTIFUL
At the 1,433rd kilometer of its flow, the Danube enters Serbia, flows through
it for 588 kilometers, it is navigable on its whole flow and a natural connection
to Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. The vicinity of the Tisa,
the Morava and the Drina, as well as numerous internal channels and lakes,
river islands and branches, it makes the sailing an unforgettable happening.
On the way though Europe, by its entering Serbia, the Danube flows through
the most interesting geographic, geological and cultural / historical regions.
It flows from the Pannonian Plains on the north to Đerdap, the largest river
gorge in Europe. At its banks, the empires of intact nature, culture created
for centuries, cities with their specific characteristics replace each other.
On its way through Serbia, the Danube informs the travelers with the origin
and disappearance of civilizations, it makes them closer to the nations and
In its edition "On the Danube Through Serbia", the Tourist Organization of Serbia published the tourist / information map 'Down the Beautiful Blue Danube', intended, first of all, for the tourists who sail to Serbia by ship. They will find out from the map, among others, that, according to a legend, Jason, the leader of Argonauts, was the first one who saw Belgrade Fortress, looking for the Golden Fleece, that the second large organ in Europe is in Sombor, why Fruška Gora has been named "The Serbian Holy Mountain", what happens when one drinks water from the "Four Lions Fountain", in Sremski Karlovci, that the worldwide important archaeological find Viminacium is near Kostolac, that the Đerdap Gorge is the largest river gorge in Europe, why the culture of Lepenski Vir changed the theories of the civilization development, why the sunk Traian Bridge near Kladovo, was "a wonder of the Ancient World", where the best wines are drunk, what the tourist events around the Danube are and when they take place and many others.
Tourists will obtain the map, free of charge, at the entry, near Bezdan, and they will get acquainted with Serbia with its help all the way to the exit from the country, near the Radujevac village.
KARLOVCI (1.244 km)
In the foothill of Fruška Gora, in the North-East part of Srem, on an extended plain between the hills and the Danube, the picturesque Sremski Karlovci found its place, mentioned for the first time in written documents in 1308 as the fortress / settlement Carom. After the First Great Movement of the Serbs, in 1690, Karlovci became the direct successor of Peć Patriarchy and the new spiritual center of all Serbs. It entered European history in 1699, when the Peace Treaty was signed between the Alliance (Austria, Poland, Russia and Venice) and Turkey. The Baroque and Neoclassical buildings of the Grammar School, Stephaneum, the People's Funds Palace, the Patriarchy Court with the Treasury, the Magistrate, the homes of Baron Rajačić and Dragomir Popović, the Cathedral and Roman Catholic Church, the Peace Lady Chapel, constructed on the place of signing the Karlovci Treaty, and the Four Lions Fountain make the center of this town, as a cultural wealth under the Government protection, irresistible. The church towers rise here, in order to exceed Fruška Gora and the bells ring like in Florence. The town has got also its legend, which says, the one who drinks also water from the Four Lions Fountain, in addition to wine, will certainly come back to Karlovci and get married there.