Tourist destinations


The National Tourism Organization of Serbia, the organizer of the national selection for European Destinations of Excellence - EDEN, awarded the first prize at the competition held in Serbia, to the Knjaževac Municipality. The winning destination competed with the St. George's Day Ritual Prayer, which has been enlisted in the List of Nonfinancial Cultural Heritage Elements of the Republic of Serbia and as a part of the St. George's Day habits, included into the regional proposal for the St.George's Day entry into the UNESCO Representative List of Nonfinancial Cultural Heritage.

Knjaževac is a town at the confluence of two rivers - the Svrljiški Timok and the Trgoviški Timok. It is 273 km far from Belgrade, 70 km from Niš and 40 km from Zaječar. It is surrounded by the slopes of Stara planina, Tresibaba and Tupižnica. The area around Knjaževac, that belongs to Timočka Krajina, was inhabited by various tribes since ancient times. These regions were passed through by many armies. There were many wars, fires, destructions and again constructions and reconstructions. The hordes of Hunes, Avarians passed there and after them, the spatious Timok valley was inhabited by the Slavs. The Timok population were changing their masters. They lived under the reign of the Franconians, Bulgaria and Byzantium, which is testified by the remnants of many Medieval settlements and Churches, preserved near the town. Then this area was conquered by the Turks and finally it came under protection of Serbia. In the Roman period, Knjaževac was called Timacum Maius, then it becomes Gurgusovac (by "gurgusan" pigeons), and the present name was dated in 1859, by the Prince Miloš Obrenović.
About  Knjaževac, the town that used to be called  "The Serbian Venice" and "Little Paris", because of seven bridges ove the river, many people wrote, including the famous architect  Le Corbusier, who vitied it travelling to the East, in 1910, and inspired by the pictureque streets and the town architecture, made a drawing of it, kept at present in the National Museum in Belgrade.


Knjaževac center lies on the bank of the Timok river and the Old Town is the most recognizable part of the town. The symbol of the whole place is the Stone Bridge, constructed in 1913. One side of the river is formed by the chestnut alley and the other one by linden. Knjaževac has got also a well preserved national architecture. Valuable assets are kept in the Home Museum, having among the exhibits pointed out a plentiful collection of  double knitted socks, nominated for the first protection degree at the global level.  Knjaževac is also one of the stations at the Wine Route through Serbia. In this region, wine is inseparable from history and tradition. Thus, there is the belief that when everything is over, God and wine remain. Vineyards are grown with love and both the sorted and autochtonous types are grown in them. In the Jović Winery, in Potkranje, they produce also the "Višnjica", a unique wine made of sour cherry.


The beautiful town Knjaževac, with its nearby villages, is an outstanding destination. The hosts invite guests, saying "Knjaževac is the town of vineyards and high quality wines, interesting habits and hospitable people. In our villages, you will be welcomed as a friend and the unpolluted nature, healthy home made food, forgotten meals, pure air and many other things to remind you of your childhood." As regarding us, the invitation should be accepted.

ARCHEOLOGICAL - ETHNIC PARK - Located in Ravna village (8 km from Knjaževac). Reconstructed review of the traditional construction of this region consists of the houses from Gornja Kamenica and Berčinovac, Wine Museum with a Winery, a barn and a kettle for brandy manufacturing from Stara Planina, as well as a Lapidarium with Roman stone monuments.
TIMACUM MINUS - This oldest military fortress from the Roman period was found near the Ravna village. Roman necropolises and a bathroom were discovered near it.

MONASTERY OF THE HOLY TRINITY, Despot Lazar Foundation, and the
CHURCH OF THE HOLY MOTHER OF GOD  from the 14th century, the most valuable monument of the Timok Eparchy.


A real natural attraction on the road  Knjaževac - Pirot, near Kalna.

STARA PLANINA - It became an important tourism center, especially in the winter period. The peak Midžor (2169.m) is the second highest one in Serbia. The Ski Resort 'Babin Zub' has got four seat cable railway "Konjarnik and the ski lift. At the location "Jabučko Ravnište" there are the first gondel in Serbia, as well as the four seat cable railway "Rudine" and the ski lift. More than 13 km arranged lanes of various difficulty, including those
for extreme sports, the artificial snowing systems, "Falkensteiner Hotel Stara planina", as well as the rural tourism offer, make Stara planina an outstanding tourism destination.

TOWN MUSEUM - Located in the former home of Aca Stanojević, the radical leader, close associate of Nikola Pašić, President of the Serbian National Parliament.
HOME MUSEUM - Situated in the family home of the Sibinović Family. There are items of the past times, from prehistory, via the Medieval era, to the Timok Uprising and the present days.
SAINT GEORGE'S CHURCH - Built to honor the first visit of the Prince Miloš to Gurgusovac. Its treasury includes the Evangel from the year 1805.
MEMORIAL PARK - A part of the cultural / historical heritage that connects the events from 1804 to the end of the Second World War.
DŽERVIN VILLA - Built by the model of villas in the Czech spas.
GURGUSOVAC TOWER - Former symbol of suffering, called 'The Serbian Bastille', at present a form part of the Culture Hall.
BANJICA SWIMMING POOL - The sport / recreation center "Banjica" getting water from the Thermal Spring Rgoška Banjica


At the base of Midžor, the highest mountain peak of the Eastern Serbia, in the villages Vrtovac and Balta Berilovac (35 km from Knjaževac), annually on the first Saturday after the St. George's Day, the Tourism / Economic Event "St. George's Day Meetings - The Ritual Prayer under Midžor", which celebrates the power of spring and nature, life rising above the winter numbness. This ritual, connecting in itself the Pagan and Christian elements, is followed by an ethnic festival, including traditional songs and dances, shepherds' competitions, the most beautiful female shepherd selection, competitions in the old meals preparation, and old crafts.



The area of Knjaževac Municipality, including also 85 villages, spreads in the valleys of the rivers Svrljiški, Trgoviški and Beli Timok, on the slopes of Tresibaba and Tupižnica and in the region of the Northern section of Stara Planina. The villages with developed tourism offer, such as Crni Vrh, Kalna, Ćuštica, Balta Berilovac and others are characteristic for their beauty, mixing of ethnic motifs with the tradition, with the Late Roman excavated remnants and monuments, the opportunity for endless walks and the host's kindness, preparing the local specialties - Belmuž (the specialty made by long cooking in the kettle of new sheep cheese and corn flour cheese).

ETHNIC VILLAGE SRNA - This symbol of the ethnic tourism of Knjaževac is located in the village of Inovo. It has got a hotel, clog houses, a swimming pool, a garden with the rest benches, a restaurant and a small ZOO. The whole complex is a connection of tradition and modern comfort


home page

Tourism Organization of Knjaževac Municipality

+ 38119 735230